Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Library days

I was just thinking about how cool it was when I was a kid and the bookmobile came out every 2 weeks. The whole town came together in the 3 hours it was there. Everybody mobbed the van, pouring over the newest novels and magazines. We got out of school to go in. I remember spending hours pouring over books there, checking out hundreds of books to get me through the long interim period.

It's always amazing to me, the amount of books they fit into such a small space. The shelves were full to the brink, books lashed in place to make it around the corners of twisty rural roads. Somehow, there were always enough books to satisfy all of us and still leave some on the shelves.

Someday I'm going to write a story about that magical bookmobile. Because I believe they did use magic to fit the whole world in that little bus. I know they brought it to me.

No comments: