Friday, May 17, 2013

Tony Stark, Slightly Crazy Inventor-Scientist

So last night my husband and I finally watched Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog. Which got me thinking about mad scientists.

[Side note: I have this giant poster of a book cover hanging over my tv:

If you didn't know, I wrote the story introductions to this book, and the cover is AWESOME. But having a giant poster of a mad scientist hanging over one's television makes you think about science a lot!]

Anyway, after watching Dr. Horrible, I found myself full of rage. Why are superheroes always using these innate powers and abilities to save the day, but scientists are always using their gifts for evil? Why are scientists always portrayed as bad guys? After all, in real life every single good thing in the world comes from science!

And then I remembered Tony Stark. Tony Stark! Inventor! Computer scientist! Student of strange physics! Hero! And hottie!

Batman uses technology to save the day, too, but at least in the Christopher Nolan series, it's suggested that he cannibalizes a lot of ideas from his family's company. He's a clever guy, and I definitely approve of his work, but Tony Stark seems to have a much more scientific and inventor-ish approach to his superheroics.

Needless to say, Iron Man is officially my new favorite superhero.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Ol FeXY has always been high on my list of Super Heroes. Generally, the less Super and more Hero they are the more I like 'em. Plus. SCIENCE!

--Jak

Kt said...

Hi again! It's been too long! Hmm...interesting point about scientists being the baddies. Perhaps it's because we fear science (FEAR IT) but have faith in strong sweaty muscley bodies. And now I'm going to go watch the first song from DHSB again because I love it so much...